Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Spa at the Broadmoor (Mother's Day, Part Two)

I was definitely pleased with our exquisite dinner date at the Mona Lisa, and thought Sean did an A+ job of celebrating our first Mother's Day. I had worked hard at not getting my expectations up. (Ok, so I hung a Mother's Day card I got from my mom on the fridge, but that's it! Didn't hint or remind in any other way.) Holidays like that tend to be more important to women than to men, and I realize it's just not on their radar most of the time. We rarely eat out, so it was a real treat to go to a fancy place. I felt cherished and special, and didn't expect anything else....

...but one day, I discovered a few mystery entries on our calendar for the Wednesday following Mother's Day: "10am Brkfst @ Lake Terrace," and "1140-1250 Swedish massage." Hmm.... I didn't want to assume it was for me. But when I first saw the calendar, Sean was sleeping after a mid shift (11pm-7am), so I couldn't ask him. When he did wake up, he asked me to go add his upcoming PT test to our calendar, at which point I said, speaking of calendars... and he confirmed those mystery appointments were for us!

Turns out, Sean had arranged another treat for us to celebrate Mother's Day, and secretly wrote it on the calendar to see when I would notice it. (He didn't wait very long for me to notice it, though! I discovered it the morning after he wrote it, and he brought it up, albeit circuitously, the first time we talked after he had written it sneakily. Anyway....)

The Lake Terrace is a fancy-shmancy restaurant at the old Broadmoor Hotel, an historic haven tucked away in the outskirts of Colorado Springs. The Lake Terrace boasts a gorgeous view of "the grounds" and the namesake lake, all meticulously groomed and landscaped. When you eat there, you really feel like you should sit up straight and be careful with your cloth napkin and crystal water goblet. There's even a dress code! Minimum: nice jeans, please. Collared shirts or slacks desired. The entire complex is fancy-- from the valet parking, to tapestries and gigantic flower arrangements everywhere inside, to the lush carpets and velvet-upholstered wing chairs cozied up to huge fireplaces, and wicker baskets of little rolled-up terry cloth towels with which to dry your hands in the powder room-- a place frequented mostly by rich-looking older gentlemen and ladies. :)

There also happens to be a spa associated with the Broadmoor Hotel... where Sean scheduled both of us for massages! That is one smart guy I married. What else is he supposed to do while I get my (specially-requested prenatal) massage? The staff members supply you with thick terry robes and rubber slides, along with a locker for your personal items, and there are rooms stocked with lemon- or cucumber-water and fresh fruit, for after the massage (or facial) as you rest on a padded chaise chair and overlook the golf course next to the mountains. It was ultra fancy! After the massage (which was amazing!!), I felt a little lost at times in the women's area, wandering through the aromatherapy rooms, shower and vanity area, and lounge rooms (with fireplace, reading materials, padded arm chairs, and table arrayed with dried fruit and nuts in glass canisters). It was a unique experience, another thing we've never tried before, and I'm pretty sure it cleaned out our "date night/getaway" savings fund... but that's why we have one. We do want to save up for special things like this.


On our way to our massages after breakfast!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment