I had to "borrow" Logan's big pot (a Dutch oven, maybe? It has a big metal lid, with a handle that gets really, really hot) because the saucepan I started with was filled to within about 1/8 inch of the top... before I added the pasta and broth. Oh no! Too full!! Minor emergency in the kitchen! I will be thankful when we move into our house and I can have all my pots and pans around me, even the big ones! For now, we are definitely surviving with what we have. No worries there... it just requires a little creativity (and the unknowing graciousness of our housemate, ahem. I sort of raided the cupboards looking for a big enough pot). I wish I would remember to halve the recipe at first, if it's a new one I haven't tried before, to see if it will fit in my pot!
Finished product: not much to say, other than YUMMM. Sour cream was the perfect crowning touch. Cornbread would have been awesome as a side, but we didn't have the fixin's. Oh well! I don't usually put penne in my chili, but it was a nice addition and provided some carbs. Beef, bell pepper, onion, pinto beans, cumin and chili powder, diced tomatoes. Definitely a "you can do this again" recipe.
On a slightly-related note, I am probably far too proud of the fact that people often comment on the awesome lunches Sean brings to work. :) I love taking care of him and sending him to work with something hot and delicious.... but I also love that people know I can (and do) cook. I want to be a good wife, but I don't want to be a self-absorbed, arrogant wife. :) Something I'm working on...

No comments:
Post a Comment