Over a year ago now, on March 1st, 2009, Sean and I went on a "double date" with my parents to La Purisima Mission, not too far from Santa Maria. It was a beautiful spring day, and we introduced Sean to California missions. I guess he never learned California history in the 4th grade (doesn't everyone learn California history?), where students either constructed a model of one of the 21 missions along the coast, or created a map of CA with all the missions marked. (Salt dough topographical map? Bo-ring!! I made a California cake, with Mom's help.) Somehow I thought that because I had learned California history when I was young, every schoolchild did. Now I wondered, what about all the other states' histories that I was never taught? Am I missing out on important historical details?? Based on how much (or how little) I remember about CA's illustrious history, I'm guessing I can still be a productive adult in society without that knowledge of the other 49 states.
La Purisima boasts stables and a blacksmithy; a replica barracks room showing typical bedding, clothing, and weapons; beautiful herb gardens; and probably a few things I have forgotten. It's been a year since I visited it, after all!
Oh, how I miss my flip flops (or slippers, as Sean calls them). Hopefully we will be able to wear them soon! Miscellaneous revelatory dialectical note: if flip flops are "slippers"... what do you call that wintertime, fuzzy footwear you wear around the house? "House slippers"! I love marriage!





*smile* loved this post since Sarah and I had this conversation last summer... 4th grade students in Oregon learn all about their state history and their big project is The Oregon Trail. No mission building for them! ;) Get out your petticoats and cowboy hats!
ReplyDelete