Monday, February 4, 2013

{12 in 13} February: First update


It's February already! Time just seems to fly lately. We are adjusting to being a two-kid household, I think. We are getting used to getting two kids ready to go out the door; operating two five-point-harness carseats; feeding, clothing, and bathing two little bodies. I was even one minute early to an event last week... which for me is quite an accomplishment. :) My typical MO is two minutes late-- no matter where I'm going or how far away it is, somehow I manage to be two minutes late. That's something I want to work on (add it to the list, right?!).

Anyway... here is my original post of 2013 goals: 12 in 13 


February's goal is: share love. This is going to be a treats + tract bundle for our neighbors.

My initial planning has included these thoughts…

I've decided to make three kinds of chocolate treats for my neighbors' care packages (cake balls, chocolate/berry trail mix, and chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies). Is that too much chocolate, or what??  :) I decided on preparing 10 plates... then counted the houses on either side of the street and guess what, we have 10 occupied houses (not counting ours) on our street! I've made an ingredients list, with quantities needed.  I'm planning on going to the commissary soon to stock up on flour, cocoa, etc.  I’ve tentatively asked my mom if I can come over and have a baking day with her, and if she’d be willing to contribute some of her homemade granola (and a set of hands for occupying kids and baking).  She sounded enthusiastic! We both love baking.  And she loves her grandbabies somethin’ fierce. J  Now we just need to put it on the calendar.

For the spiritual side of things, I’ll be drafting up the “message” portion of the packages soon, sharing about God’s love vs. romantic love. Not that romantic love is bad; God designed it, so it’s good. But so often people get hung up on it when God’s love is perfect and holy and eternal. I want to spread that good news with people and open the door to future conversations, if our neighbors are willing. I’ll be praying that the gospel would be clear and that God would help me in this project—that it wouldn’t be me doing it in my own strength. That’s the key to success in any endeavor. One of Caleb’s memory verses is Proverbs 3:6—In all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. I like how that version phrases it.  Caleb and I like to flip through his ABC verse cards at mealtimes. He really likes the pictures, but he is starting to get familiar with the words, too, as I read them to him.

Well, I’m off to bake a chocolate cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment