Here's the play-by-play on this month's project: share love with our neighbors via "Love Deliveries."
2/1: Baked a chocolate cake for later incorporation into cake balls (froze it in big pieces for later).
2/4: Bought baking supplies at commissary.
2/5: Today is the first of three potential "baking days" I had penciled in on my calendar. Caleb is running a fever and asks me many times to hold him. I sit next to him on the floor with pillows and we watch an Elmo video three times in a row (I must admit, I folded some laundry here and there during that time). The TV is rarely on in our house, but he was so pitiful looking and lethargic I let him keep watching it.
2/6: We stayed home from Bible study because of Caleb, who's feeling much better today but is still under observation. Made some veggie enchiladas for the crock pot and destroyed the kitchen. Put Caleb down for nap... mixed up the cake ball filling (cream cheese, butter, sugar, cocoa, crumbled chocolate cake) before dinner and refrigerated it overnight.
 |
| cream cheese, butter, cocoa, powdered sugar |
2/7: Rolled cake filling into balls; rearranged freezer to accommodate cookie sheet with newly-formed cake balls. Meanwhile, Mom made granola at her place.
2/8: Baking day, for reals! We dipped the cake balls in melted chocolate (with a small quantity of coconut oil added to make it creamy and harden nicely), coated Mom's granola and crushed pretzel sticks in chocolate; and baked shortbread cookies. We decided that chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies was just too much, and straight shortbread would be a better complement to all that chocolate. I think it was a good choice!
 |
| melted chocolate chips |
 |
| granola on L; pretzels on R |
 |
| washing hands with Grammy |
 |
| Caleb enjoys cutting out cookies :) |
 |
| Caleb, my sous chef :) Love that kid!! |
 |
| Ready to bake! |
 |
| Like this? No.... Let's roll it out. |
 |
| Fresh out of the oven! |
 |
Caleb was pretty sad that I wouldn't let him eat any cake balls.
We did sample the shortbread cookies... |
2/13: Assembly and delivery day! During Caleb's afternoon nap, I assembled the 10 little treat boxes. After dinner, I set out to deliver them while Sean watched the kids. I was able to connect with two different neighbors: our longtime friend next door, Melanie; and a friendly elderly guy down the street whose name I failed to get. (Argh!) No one else answered their door. I debated about whether or not to leave the treat boxes on doorsteps, since I have seen cats wandering around. (I decided not to, and try again the next day.) I must admit I was kind of disappointed and confused. I told Sean,
Well, that's not how I anticipated it going! So much for my big "love delivery" project! Yet again this year-of-goal-setting project is turning out differently than I thought it would. But he reminded me it wasn't a failure.... We never know how God is going to use the seeds we plant. We aren't the ones who save people; our job is just to be a faithful laborer. There was still an opportunity to connect with neighbors the next day, when perhaps more people might be home.
 |
I got little cardboard boxes for $1 each at Target, and lined them
with some colorful striped wrapping paper I already had |
 |
| chocolate Valentine trail mix |
 |
| triple chocolate cake balls |
 |
Here's the little note card I wrote to share about the
GREATEST demonstration of love that has ever been known. |
 |
| Caleb, Bessie (the stroller) and I, ready to embark on a Valentine's Day adventure... |
2/14: delivery day #2! This day felt more successful. :) The sun was shining, the kids were happy, I was excited. I left treat boxes on doorsteps when the door wasn't answered, and reached a few more neighbors: Judy, a sweet older lady two houses down, who invited me in; Sally, a lady with three teenagers who was working from home that day, and let Caleb pet her Dachshund puppy, Gracie... Tom, a retired gentleman who showed me his "man cave" (sideyard sitting area and backyard putting green) and Raul, next door, who owns a landscaping business and thanked me profusely in accented English. It was fun, and though I wished I had gotten to talk more with neighbors, the conversation I had with Sally in particular was a good start.
February Love Delivery project: complete!
There are still eight days left in the month; maybe I should pick back up with my January project....
Stay tuned. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment