At my OB appointment today, I got weighed and blood-pressured and we got to hear the baby's heartbeat-- in the 150's, normal and good. It's been interesting to me (I've been treasuring these things in my heart) that each nurse/midwife I've seen has remarked how perfect and healthy this pregnancy is-- everything from my fundal height (top of the uterus), to the baby's heartbeat, to blood-test results. Maybe they say that fairly often, and I am just sensitive to the fact that it's not a given: positive pregnancy test, pregnancy, baby. Or maybe God is just blessing the socks off this new little baby before he/she is even born! At any rate, I am extremely grateful for each good report received.
It's weird to be concerned about not gaining enough weight! I have only gained about 5 lbs, and should be in the eight- to 11-pound range. Not a huge concern, but the midwife did recommend upping my calories a little bit, to shoot for 2300 a day; and to eat five to six smaller meals, not three big ones. Your digestive track (or is it tract?) slows down during pregnancy, probably so you can absorb as many nutrients as possible, but it can also result in less-pleasant side-effects. Ahem. And of course if you're not getting enough calories total, that can affect weight gain. My blood pressure was pretty low, 106/52, but she said that was normal for the second trimester. I usually have pretty low blood pressure anyway. I guess the real concern is high blood pressure.
Sean says he has felt kicks! The ones I feel from the inside are getting stronger and stronger! That helps it sink in for me that there's a real baby, a distinctly unique human being, in there. We may be able to find out tomorrow, if the baby cooperates, whether it is a boy or girl. It's not a 100% satisfaction guaranteed proposition, determining baby's sex by ultrasound, but usually it can be pretty definitive. :) Will Caleb retain his title as Only Male Grandchild On Both Sides??? Or will there be TWO Allen men-in-the-making? (Sean and I were talking the other day, prompted by a Focus on the Family broadcast about parenting teenagers (yikes!), and we decided we are going to see our children as men and women in the making, for that is the goal and the eventual reality, Lord willing!)
I will be sure to post what we find out tomorrow. :)
We leave the Springs in less than a week. I'm trying not to think about it, and trying not to fret about all the loose ends remaining. Christina encouraged me yesterday when sharing about her own endeavors to "choose joy" in the midst of a stretching season. There's always a choice... and right now, I am going to choose to take a nap! We have been staying up late recently and it is taking a toll.
Here's a 20-week picture! I have only taken a few of them this time around (something about having a toddler and a pending move and just being plain busy!). I was thinking I should try and include Caleb in the photos, as proof that I'm not recycling photos from my first pregnancy! ;) I'm grateful to have a pair of regular shorts that still fit. Some shirts still work, like this blue one... while others have been relegated to the back of the closet for now. Only 20 more weeks or so before we meet this new little person! I'm going to try and enjoy the journey, i.e. not complain about pregnancy discomforts and instead count my blessings.
I would be remiss if I didn't include a gratuitous shot of Caleb. I love him more and more each day! I'm so glad God gives you this overwhelming affection for your children. They need that buffer when they are in a particularly challenging season. :) Little goofball. His new skills are 1) jumping with both feet simultaneously, 2) singing along to the ABC song or Jesus Loves Me, 3) using possessives like "my turn" or "Mommy's feet," and 4) getting up onto Mommy and Daddy's bed all by himself. He will be two in less than six weeks!!!
Talk soon,
M
Yay congrats on the healthy baby!
ReplyDelete