Monday, March 14, 2011

Sleeping... or not

Perhaps I have been too excited (and too talkative) about how well Caleb sleeps, because lately he has been struggling to go to sleep at night, and sleep all night long. Naps are still peachy, with only an occasional cry or two. Most of the time he goes to sleep for a nap with a very short wind-down routine: swaddle, insert paci, lay him down, and place blanket on top. Last night we put him down around 7 p.m. I think, and it was 8:30 before he was asleep: we let him cry for awhile, then tried soothing him, which he would have none of. I finally nursed him a little and he relaxed, and I put him down still awake. He cried a few times, then snuggled into his blanket (finally). He woke up this morning around 2 a.m. (I put in his paci and we both went back to sleep-- he's still sleeping in a co-sleeper next to our bed), and then he was wide awake when Sean left for work around 5:15. Caleb started crying around 6:30 (I think), but stopped around 6:55. I was planning to feed him no earlier than 7, and picked him up once he stopped crying to bring him into bed to feed him.

I've heard that reaching "developmental milestones" like starting solid foods can disrupt normal sleep patterns. Well, we just started solids this week with barley cereal (yum). I don't see how the teeny tiny amounts he's actually ingesting (like 1 tsp. or less, once a day) could affect him so much! But hey, it is a big change when all you've consumed your entire life has been breastmilk.

I think part of it is... we need to be consistent. We hate letting him "cry it out," but then he seems to cry more if you let him cry for awhile, THEN go in and comfort him. But do you go in with every little peep? Nope. I've heard him go back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of a nap and cries for a few minutes. I want to break the habit of crying (and relenting) so that he cries less. Oy. I guess we just need to determine to leave him be once we put him to bed at night, for however long is necessary; no time-limit for going in to him. I think we could commit to three days, which is what they say it takes. We tried it before and he cried for an hour... and got a bloody nose. That's kinda scary for a newbie parent. But, they say the crying has a pretty steep decline over two-three days. So perhaps we will do it and see how it goes.

I also think, after last night, that it is time for him to sleep in his room, in his crib. He doesn't need night feedings anymore, and has been sleeping through the night (10-12 hours) for three months now. I just wonder if we should introduce it now, when he has a crying issue, or if the change will make it worse: disorienting or fearful for him to be "banished" to a new place and trying to get himself to sleep when he's already struggling. ARGH. I know this season won't last forever, but it is frustrating to know what to do. I also know that it's important to establish good habit patterns now.

Welp, it's time for his 11 a.m. feeding! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment