Thursday, April 18, 2013

Potty training journal II

After the first several days where I felt like we were constantly (I know that's an exaggeration) cleaning the floor and changing his outfit, Caleb had a day with no misses! Every time that day when he needed to go, he said, I need to pee, then went and got on the potty. He is peeing into the potty most of the time now, with just one or two misses per day. Sometimes when he is playing or hanging out in the kitchen, he will stop, look down, and a puddle materializes. But more and more he is realizing the urge and making it to the potty!

We are still working on pooping into the potty. If he is already sitting on the potty, he does well, but he doesn't necessarily stop playing to go #2 on the potty. I have some underwear to clean today, and they're more than just wet. Ahem. Is this TMI?? I feel like it's important to document, but I realize this is pretty detailed!

Yesterday, he had a couple misses but stayed dry during his nap-- that is good progress!! You can't really "teach" someone not to pee while they are sleeping. :) That's more of a maturity thing, or being smart about limiting their liquid intake for an hour or two before sleep. (??)

There have been several days where he has successfully gone first thing after waking up, or mid-morning. I think we will do Pull-ups for church, Bible study, and errands... We haven't tried using public restrooms yet, and I'm really wishing we had one of those portable potties for kids.

I might just bring our kid potty in the car and try that... but Caleb likes to climb around in the back of the Pilot, so he may be distracted if I put him and the potty back there and expect him to just sit on it and go. Why sit still when you can climb over the seat, push the light buttons, and grab the handles in the ceiling? :)

The last few days Caleb has really resisted going to the potty. But if we just say, it's time to sit on the potty, even if you don't go, and "help" or "encourage" him (i.e. carry him kicking and screaming) to sit down, he will usually go. :) We are working on having a good attitude in obeying Mommy and Daddy. I am so grateful he is doing so well at calming himself down enough to talk in a regular voice. We will often ask him, when he starts crying or whining, "Please try again in a normal voice." It might take a few tries, but he really does have a remarkable ability to do it, for a two-year-old. He's a special kid and even in the challenges, I am so grateful God gave him to us for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment