Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sewing adventures in spinach green

I have now sewn rank on two flightsuits. :) Our buddy Cam asked me to work some magic on his flightsuit, after hearing I had sewn Sean's.


before


after

I must admit, I really enjoyed this project! Especially the second time around, when I sort of knew what I was doing... and when I wasn't under a time crunch of needing to get ready to go camping! (Remember our camping trip over Memorial Day?) I was very pleased with the results on Cam's flightsuit, particularly the green thread that matches so well it is almost invisible, a color officially named "Spinach." (Sean's rank still shows a minty-green thread that does not blend in very well, but it's what I had at the time.) I was so thrilled it matched so perfectly, after merely eye-balling the array of green threads in the store and picking one, fingers crossed. The fusible webbing I bought helps too, because it's pretty squirrely trying to sew such a small chunk of fabric on and keep the edges all tucked under neatly without being able to pin it in place due to the thickness. It's possible (sort of) to adhere the raw edges to the back of the rank, press, then sew in a little rectangle along the four sides. I will have to go back and redo Sean's flightsuit, so that it looks as good. Can't have my husband walking around with an inferior job. :)

By the time they make Captain, I should be a pro at this....

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment