Thursday, August 19, 2010

Luke and Emily Hawkins



The Wedding
Luke D. Hawkins and Emily D. Forman got married on July 17, 201o-- exactly nine months after Sean and I got married on Oct. 17, 2009-- at the Cayucos Creek Barn in Cayucos, CA. It was a beautiful wedding, expressive, emotive, and very vintage, just like they are. One extremely neat feature was their guest book: a mint-green typewriter on which guests could peck out a line or two (see photo at top-right, my dear friend Amie demonstrating her technique). The bride and groom included thoughtful touches like lighting candles for both Luke's dad and sister, who have passed away, as well as diverse readings by four of their friends-- one, a Scripture passage; one, an excerpt from a book; another, reading a humorous one-line quote. I always appreciate how weddings remind me of my own vows. Now that I am married, I don't have to wistfully wonder if the pastor's words will someday apply to me. Instead, I see those words as a charge, to renew my own commitment to my husband and remember the ultimate aim of marriage on earth: to reflect the beauty of Christ and the Church, His tender love for His Bride and her devotion to her groom.

The Back Story
Luke and I go way back, and it's hard to imagine a truer friend. We have had deep discussions about A.W. Tozer and C. S. Lewis (all great theological writers seem to have initials for names); we took French together for three years in high school; we went to coffee; we went to plays put on by the local junior college, one of which-- Crazy for You-- sparked a "define the relationship" talk, which culminated in "just friends." In fact, we took a couple classes together both at good ole Allan Hancock College (aforementioned j.c.) as well as The Master's College, where I got my degree. We were both English majors for a time, until I defected to Liberal Studies. He finished his English BA at Cal Poly SLO, a university not far from Santa Maria. He's a sensitive soul, a "thoughtful thinker" and articulate writer, the depth of whose insights are much too deep for me. Even his penmanship is careful and calligraphic.

At one point, I would have said our personalities were all-but-identical, but after high school our lives diverged and vastly different experiences shaped each of us. We were kindred spirits, good friends, peas in a pod. After some time, I felt like we had both changed so much that I no longer understood him quite as well, but that did not negate our historical friendship. I am very thankful for him, because he pours out his life into other people. He has suffered great grief and his character is strong. He loves well, and I am certain his life will be well-spent. I am ecstatic he now has a life-partner to share it with! Emily is an incredible person, I am certain. No mediocre, indifferent soul could be a match for Luke. I am very thankful I was able to witness the beginning of their marriage.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment